May 7, 2010

Orange Brownies

Orange brownies are definitely a favorite in our house.  I love making them and we love eating them.  I make them a lot for special occasions and this week was sure a special occasion, Teacher Appreciation Week!!  I made a batch for all of Spencer's teachers.  I got the recipe from Paula Deen awhile back (love me some Paula Deen).  They are super easy to make & some of the best things you'll ever eat!  Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 eggs
2 teaspoons pure orange extract (I use almost a WHOLE bottle of orange extract - no lie!)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest  (zest of one orange)

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (zest of one orange)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and set aside. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, eggs, orange extract, and orange zest and beat with a handheld electric mixer until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set. Remove from oven and pierce top of entire cake with a fork.

Glaze:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Pour glaze over cake. Cool cake and cut into squares.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I made "brownie toppers" to go on them and I think they turned out pretty cute!


What made the experience all that more sweet was my precious little helper in the kitchen!  I think the batter was his favorite part (and what caused him to not go to bed until 10:30).  Spencer sat in his chair the entire time I was mixing and "helped" mommy!  He wasn't fond of the hand-held mixer, but sure did like to stir. 








1 comments:

Jacqui said...

What a cute idea! I love the toppers. Spencer is getting so big. He's starting to look like a little boy and not a baby :(

Post a Comment

 
Content © Kara Swindell. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.